When will you gain the weight?
- Most women can expect to gain about 1 to 2 kg (about 2 to 4 lbs) in the first trimester.
- Most weight gain happens gradually during the second and third trimesters. However, a sudden peak in the rate of weight gain during the second trimester is not unusual.
What can you do to gain a healthy amount of weight during pregnancy?
- Talk to your health care provider early in your pregnancy about what you can expect and to set a weight gain goal.
- Eat "twice as healthy", not "twice as much". In most cases, just a little more food is enough. Follow the recommendations in Canada's Food Guide.
- Add up activities in periods of at least 10 minutes, for a total of 30 minutes of activity each day.
- Activities such as walking, gardening, housework, and swimming can be done safely during pregnancy.
- Talk to your health care provider before increasing your activity level or before starting an exercise program.
The above recommended weight gain can be used as a general guide for single pregnancies. The Pregnancy Weight Gain Calculator should not replace individualized medical advice.
Report a problem on this page
- Date modified: